Wednesday, September 23, 2015

It's a miracle.

Not quite in the same league as the two proven miracles required to become a Catholic saint, I returned home from work today to find that Vinoland's Pinot grigio grapes had been harvested.  It is indeed a small miracle, as I didn't think harvest 2015 was ever going to get started here at home.  I think it is only fitting that today - the day that Pope Francis canonized Father Junípero Serra, the first winegrower in California - a few grapes were picked in Vinoland; grapes destined to become a little bit of California wine.  (And it is California wine month, besides.)
Like the St. Helena Cabernet Sauvignon, the Pinot grigio yield was down by about 50%.  Pinot grigio by the numbers; outrageous 32 °B, a pH of 3.94 and a TA of 5.30.  Next up, Orange muscat.

4 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

So, who was the saint that harvested the Pinot Grigio?
In Catholicism there are relatively few saints, but then there is wine! In Protestantism, everyone's a saint, but those that drink wine! Not sure if there's a relationship, but being the black sheep of my side of the schism has been an interesting tacit shunning! Oh well, in each life a little something must fall!

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Saint? Didn't you know that we have vineyard/harvesting/winemaking fairies in Vinoland who do all this stuff? Tut!

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” C.S. Lewis.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: I'm really surprised I didn't reply to your C.S. Lewis quote, but be it said that I'm a fan, except for his belief that dogs don't go to heaven "The Four Loves".

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Well, he was a great writer, but he can't be right about everything :)