Monday, August 31, 2015

Through the bunghole.

A frothing, bubbling Chardonnay fermentation today at TWWIAGE left no doubt whatsoever that harvest 2015 is well and truly underway. The first grapes, Sauvignon blanc, came in exactly two weeks ago, and now Chardonnay grapes are arriving almost on a daily basis.  No estimate as to when the first red wine grapes will arrive, but all signs point to 2015 continuing to be an early vintage.
The last time I photographed fermenting Chardonnay at TWWIAGE was back in 2011, October 7th to be exact, so it would seem that harvest is very early this year.  However, the Chardonnay goes through a long, cool fermentation and probably won't be finished until mid-September, so, taking that into consideration, harvest is still only about 2 weeks early.
I just love the sights and smells of fermentation.

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Let me be blunt: I like the 2011 picture better, but don't hole-d me to it!

Thomas said...

Ha, Dennis.

I love the smell of fermentation so much I once almost got knocked off a step ladder after sticking my head into a vat of fermenting Geurztraminer (the best fermentation smell of them all). I did not consider the level of CO2 in there.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Hmmm, bit too early for puns like that :)

Tomasso: Before I left the winery last night, I went through this particular barrel room (to pick up several free magnums of wine) and the CO² was already building up again after the room being aired out all day. It's amazing how quickly you can get lightheaded.