Saturday, May 09, 2015

Week of weeds: Day 6.

This weed was really easy for me to identify, as it is possibly my favourite weed from when I was a child, (a close tie with Shepard's-purse, perhaps). I loved the feel of the densely composed, egg-shaped flowers of the pineapple weed, it's feathery leaves and, of course, the slight pineapple scent whenever I crushed those leaves between my fingers.
In Vinoland, pineappleweed (Matricaria discoidea) does not grow on the slope above the house, but instead calls a gravel driveway home. This weed also grows abundantly at the dog park that I frequent with Vinodog 2 where it seems to thrive on the very compacted pathways. In fact, I think that it's amazing that anything could grow in the poor soil at the dog park. But then, that's the wonder of weeds.  Wow!

2 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

I like this weed (it's the smell), though I understand it may cause allergic reactions in some people; another import from Europe, and anatomically "rayless".

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yes, I read that it can cause allergic reactions, so I had a quick feel/rub of it at the dog park this afternoon. And I'm happy to report I am not allergic to pineappleweed.