Monday, May 04, 2015

Week of weeds: Day 1.

Yes, a whole week of weeds (WOW).  Yes, wow! The initial spring-flurry of wildflowers and attractive weeds is almost at an end, but there are still plenty of others doing their thing.  So many that I decided to dedicate a whole week of posts to weeds.  Whoo hoo!
There has always been a lot of creeping woodsorrel (Oxalis corniculata) in Vinoland, a happy looking weed with shamrock-like leaves and bright yellow flowers, but this year there is more of the purple leafed variety than the green leafed, (although both green and purple varieties can be found growing right next to each other.) Woodsorrel grows in a prostrate manner and is very competitive with other weeds and this year it seems to be, well, creeping farther afield.  This weed is a major nuisance in lawns and landscaping, but it's not bothering anything here, least of all the vineyard, so I just let it be. It is amazing how this weed appears, and thrives, in a any plant pots I have around the house and deck, it just gets everywhere.  
Stay tuned for day 2 of WOW.

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Lady at Creeping Woodsorrel AVA!
I'll be watching for chapter two!
There's a naturalist's book here in the eight years of record keeping; please contact a publisher! I'll buy the hardcover edition!

Thud said...

I can barely contain myself.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Ha, if I had the opportunity to name an AVA, "Lady at Creeping Woodsorrel" it would be :)

Thud: The woodsorrel's trefoil is lost on you. I can do two weeks if you'd like.