Thursday, March 05, 2015

Oh no!

Oh yes!  The Syrah is awakening.  Sigh.
I finished pruning Vinoland's Cabernet sauvignon vines last Sunday, the 1st of March.  Pruning is complete that is, I have not yet tied down the canes (best done as a separate vineyard operation).  I was very busy last weekend and I'm going to be very busy this weekend too.  I started to prune the Syrah vines today, apparently not a moment too soon.
Not quite as advanced as when I started to prune the Syrah last year (although close), bud swell/budbreak is indeed happening in a few random vines, not all of them.  But enough to make me wonder if I should start to think about panicking, or just get stuck in and prune like there's no tomorrow.  I'll resurface Monday.

2 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Sorry about that! Maybe you ought to tie me down!
I'm home sick for the first time in 6 years, and I doubt all my faculties are working!
This is the first thing I thought of upon reading your post:

I'm late. . .

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yes, I am as mad as a March hare, (English folks use mad as 'insane' not 'angry').
Feel better :)