Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Still shaking!

With new barrels arriving at TWWIAGE, in anticipation of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon harvest, wine-life goes on after a rather major earthquake.  Watching news coverage of the damage at certain wineries, (notably two crumpled-like-a-soda-can, 10,000 gallon, stainless steel tanks at the Hess Collection), I realise that TWWIAGE got off very lightly.  My employers only suffered the loss of a few cases of personal wine that were still stacked in cases, not unpacked and placed in the diamond shaped wine bins.  And Napa is still shaking.  Thud and his family got little sleep on Sunday night due to all the aftershocks.  I myself was awakened at 5.32 a.m. this morning by a small temblor, followed by another at 6.44 a.m.  California, man!

6 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Thud: A vacation you'll never forget!
VG: Glad to see all those barrels still safely cradled!

Thud said...

Dennis....shaken but not stirred!

Thomas said...

We live with all kinds of violent weather patterns here, but earthquake appears a more sinister natural disaster...and one that I have never experienced.

NYState does have a fault line running through it, inactive now, but there.

About Last Weekend said...

Glad to hear u r safe, did not know abt the aftershocks

phlegmfatale said...

Glad it wasn't worse for you than it was, and I suppose it'll be a most memorable vacay for the Thud lot. :)

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Those are brand new barrels at TWWIAGE. Approximately 140 new barrels on that wall (at $1,000 a pop)...would have been quite calamitous if those had been damaged.

Thud: If I had one dollar for the amount of times I've heard that over the past 8 days.

Tomasso: I think I'd dislike tornadoes a whole lot more...they are more regular.

ALW: Have felt some over the past two days.

Phlegmmy: I don't think the kids will ever forget it.