Friday, February 21, 2014

Go 'ed girl!

Yesterday, the Napa Valley Grapegrowers held their 13th annual Napa County Pruning Contest.  The weather couldn't have been more cooperative on a day when the industry’s top vineyard workers get to challenge each other in the art, and speed, of grapevine pruning.  And the winners were;
Women’s Division:
1st Place: Celia Perez, V. Sattui
2nd Place: Maria Romero, Walsh Vineyard Management
3rd Place: Maria Dolores Torres, Promontory
4th Place: Maricruz Gutierrez, The Napa Valley Reserve
Men’s Division:
1st Place: Omar Perez, Joseph Phelps
2nd Place: Victor Silvestre, Renteria
3rd Place: Rolando Esquivel, Beckstoffer Vineyards
4th Place: Jesus Juarez, Moulds Family Vineyard
Now, I wouldn't normally be as specific as to name names, except for the fact that this year, for the first time, women were able to compete.  And it's about time that women were included in this fun contest.  Beginning at 8 a.m., at Beringer Vineyards Gamble Ranch, each contestant pruned six Chardonnay vines in the preliminary leg of the competition. Three judges reviewed the quality of the cuts which accounted for 40% of the total score, and the time it took to prune the vines which accounted for the remaining 60% of the score. The top six scoring women and top eight scoring men moved on to the finals, where four men and four women placed as winners.
Good job girls!

6 comments:

Dennis Tsiorbas said...

Well, that figures: The first thing that came to mind as your post loaded-up was "PINK".

Thud said...

Did any Americans compete?

Vinogirl said...

NHW: I was quite tickled with myself for coming up with the pink tie-wrap photo :)

Thud: Are these competitors naturalised? Who knows...it's discriminatory to even ask nowadays.

Dennis Tsiorbas said...

Vinogirl: (regarding the pink ties) "ill prop you up if prop me up! Ideas like that are fun and make photography an edge more interesting.

Thud, I thought the Brits knew all about PC?

Dennis Tsiorbas said...

Oops, oops, and probably oops again: forgot my "!

Thud said...

Dennis, a couple of minutes in my company would disabuse you of any illusions as to English Pc....way too much common sense for any of that bollocks! vinogirl not too far behind mind you.